Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alice Cooper/Jim Morrison Connection

Alice Cooper/Jim Morrison Connection

Here is a video with a song from Alice Cooper that he wrote in memory for his friend Jim Morrison. It comes from the album 'Killer' (1971). But this was also stated about this song:

Killer is the 1971 album by Alice Cooper.

Cooper said in the liner notes of Fistful of Alice and also on In the Studio with Redbeard, which spotlighted the Killer and Love it to Death albums, that the song "Desperado" was written about his friend Jim Morrison who died the same year this album was released. According to an NPR radio interview with Alice Cooper, "Desperado" was written about Robert Vaughn's character from the movie The Magnificent Seven.

A little more on Alice and the character of Alice and why he believes Jim Morrison died.

In the early days when I was drinking ... I had a very blurry line about where those two were... but I mean, that happens when you drink twenty-two hours a day. I would just sit and drink. I didn’t know whether or not I was supposed to be Alice when I went out for dinner and was a little lit. Then there was the question about whether or not I should wear the make up because I didn’t really want to disappoint anyone. Was I supposed to get into trouble? Was I supposed to get arrested that night? All of those questions went through my mind. You have to remember though who my older brothers and sisters were though--guys like Jim Morrison and Keith Moon and all the people who were living that life. After they all died, I just sat there and went, “if one generation is going to learn from the next the truth is going to have to be that you don’t have to die to be your character.” I figured then that I had better be able to separate the two. When I go onstage as Alice to this day, I play Alice to the hilt — I play him for everything he is worth, but when I’m offstage, I never think about Alice Cooper. He never occurs to me. .. I walk off stage though and I turn away from the audience, I go back to being me again. Whenever I see an audience, that’s when I turn into Alice. If there was no audience there, there would be no reason to be Alice. . If I tried to be Alice Cooper all the time — I’d either be in an insane asylum or in jail or dead. Alice is just too intense, and you just can’t be Alice all the time. Jim Morrison couldn’t be Jim Morrison, so he died. Jimi Hendrix couldn’t be Jimi Hendrix, so he died. That’s really what killed Janis Joplin, Keith Moon and all the way down the line. They were all animated characters who couldn’t live up to their lifestyle, so I said that I needed to be able to separate the two — that’s why I’m still here.




Desperado - Alice Cooper

I'm a gambler
And I'm a runner
But you knew that
When you lay down

I'm a picture
Of ugly stories
I'm a killer
And I'm a clown

Step into the street by sundown
Step into your last goodbye
You're a target just by living
Twenty dollars will make you die

I wear lace
And I wear black leather
My hands are lightning upon my gun

My shots are clean
And my, my shots are final
My shots are deadly
And when it's done

You're as stiff as my smoking barrel
You're as dead as a desert night
You're a notch
And I'm a legend
You're at peace
And I must hide

Tell me where the hell I'm going
Let my bones fall in the dust
Can't you hear that ghost that's calling
As my Colt begins to rust
In the dust

I'm a killer
I'm a clown
I'm a priest
That's gone to town


Sources: youtube, KNAC interview (2005), Wiki, Lyrics sing365.com/music/lyric

No comments: