Friday, July 14, 2006

The Who to tour

The Who to tour after nearly 25 years - Yahoo! News

It's been almost 25 years since the Who blasted their way through a major concert tour, so they should be ready. This fall, they'll give it another go, band members Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey announced Thursday.
The legendary band will then wind its way through the U.S. and Canada before jumping next year to South America, the Far East, Australia and Europe.

North American destinations include New York, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Vancouver and Toronto.

The Who will perform songs from their upcoming album, "Wire and Glass," which will be released Oct. 23. It's the group's first studio recording since 1982's "It's Hard."

"I don't think I've ever looked forward to a tour as much as this one," Townshend said. "Roger and I are both fit and well, ready to rock."

Daltrey said he and Townshend plan to perform "some rarities that we've not played for a long time." They will be joined by keyboardist " John "Rabbit" Bundrick, bassist Pino Palladino, drummer Zak Starkey and singer-guitarist Simon Townshend.

Tickets go on sale for the public July 17. Who fan club members can pre-order tickets through Saturday night.

Long live rock I say...but is The Who really "The Who" now that it only has 2 of the original band members?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ask "is The Who really The Who" now that it has only 2 original band members.

I was thinking the same. I feel as long as any band can supply the original vocalists, it would be "real" for me. Also, I feel the guitarist would also be essential for it to be "real" for me. I really think bass, drums and keyboards can be played by any musician, because usually those instruments supply the rhythm.

Hence, if Robert Plant and Jimmy Page reunite and call themselves Led Zeppelin, I'll be a believer. If David Lee Roth ever has a chance at fronting Van Halen again, that would be the REAL Van Halen. So, I think The Who will be The Who, even though it really isn't the same band. But there are plenty of bands out there that have gone through various incarnations!!!