Monday, July 11, 2005

A new sensation

The Globe and Mail: A new sensation

Plant has no time for the celebrity game. Not only does he refrain from the talk show circuit, he turned down an invitation to perform at Live 8. Given that the singer supports Turtle Will (a U.S.-based charity dedicated to the improvement of the lives of the native people in Ethiopia, Mali and Niger), the Bob Geldof-initiated concert would have seemed a natural fit. "I want to work in my own way, my own focus," Plant says, explaining his decision not to participate. "I don't want to be part of any great gushing moment that only expires the next day. The gesture is important, and, I'm sure, well-intentioned. But I think the whole idea of trawling around and singing the Long and Winding Road is not really the way to do it.

"I'm not helpless," Plant continues. "I can do things with the money I've accrued, but there are ways of seeing that a dollar actually becomes a dollar in the place where it's going to. It's better to do it my way."


Yeah, he's got a point

No comments: