Monday, February 07, 2005

The Straight Dope: Who invented the term "rock 'n' roll"?

The Straight Dope: Who invented the term "rock 'n' roll"?

The term was first used to describe a particular kind of music.
In the 1920s the words "rock" and "roll," used separately or together, were employed by blacks to mean partying, carrying on, and/or having sex. According to rock historian Nick Tosches, blues singer Trixie Smith recorded a tune in 1922 called "My Daddy Rocks Me (With One Steady Roll)" for Black Swan Records. "Daddy," suffice it to say, was not trying to rock little Trixie to sleep.

That's why Rock music is so exciting :)

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey, you sound kinda like me. I love wildlife and cats are my favorite. Black is my favorite color, needless to say I like all types of rock. I sing in a heavy metal band and my husband plays in a ska-punk band. My name is Leslie and I live in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico, It borders the city of Brownsville, TX, well see ya, hey great posts.

Vee said...

Cool!! What is the name of your metal band?

leslie said...

The name is "opression" we play originals and covers in english and spanish of classic heavy metal bands (yes, there are latin metal bands).

leslie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
leslie said...

Whoops, sorry abou the double thingie, my computer's kinda crazy today.

Vee said...

Hmm Spanish Metal :) I like the idea, so it's sung in spanish with heavy metal sounds.
So you do bands like Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Zeppelin, Ozzy, Sabbath?
By the way I'm hispanic too :) originally from Colombia S.A.

Vee said...

Don't worry I deleted the double posty :)

leslie said...

Yeah, love Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Metallica (in the old days). Some good Latin bands are Rata Blanca (Argentina), Mago de Oz (Spain), Luzbel (Mexico). Most of these guys have decades playing metal, they're actually pretty good each in their own style.